At Providence Therapeutics, we Ignite the Cure Within. We are a rapidly growing Canadian mRNA company focusing on getting the best quality vaccines to the places that need it most. We are on the leading edge of vaccine development and are on the hunt for people with an adventurous mindset to join us. We want to make a difference and help heal the World.
Providence Therapeutics is seeking qualified applicants for a full time Safety Specialist position. Under the direction of the Head of Laboratory Operations, the Safety Specialist position will support daily activities within the lab and office which will include, but not limited to, the development and maintenance of the health and safety program, hazardous waste management, inventory management, receiving, and procurement at Providence. They will be responsible for developing the occupational safety control programs designed to mitigate hazards and to ensure compliance with federal and provincial regulations and internal policies and procedures. The incumbent will support a comprehensive laboratory and office safety program.
How we plan on keeping you busy:
• Manage chemicals and hazardous materials inventory including hazardous waste and SDSs.
• Identifies hazardous conditions and/or operations, determines and establishes safe procedures and controls, and implements and enforces standard safety procedures.
• Assist with the development of written safety policies, procedures, work practices, and guidance documents.
• Manage administrative controls (e.g. signage, log books, etc.).
• Manage and maintain PPE and safety supplies.
• Manage, inspect, and test safety equipment on schedule (e.g. fire extinguishers, safety showers, fume hoods, BSCs)
• Ensure proper tracking of controlled substance(s).
• Support with inventory management, inventory usage tracking, and organization in the lab.
• Works with staff to develop, implement and monitor safety programs for the lab that meet legislative codes.
• Develop and maintain a laboratory audit program including the performance of annual lab inspection.
• Coordinates and conducts routine informal laboratory safety inspections of facilities to ensure lab occupant attire/activities and lab equipment/infrastructure are in compliance with EHS standards and regulations. Document results and recommends corrective action as needed. Follows-up until deficiencies are corrected.
• Assists with development and coordination of emergency response procedures with special attention to the lab. May respond to emergency calls or events and assist as needed.
• Provide shipping and consultative services to staff who need to ship hazardous materials/dangerous goods as regulated by the Department of Transportation and the International Air and Transportation Association.
• In coordination with HR and Supervisors, ensure all lab personnel are trained in safety protocols and programs associated with their work.
• Assist with receiving of deliveries and coordinating shipping of packages
• Coordinate equipment repairs and preventative maintenance schedules between external services and internal users
• Initiating and following-up with facility work requests
• Maintaining equipment maintenance records & inventories including tracking service plan renewals
• Support with receiving and procurement of lab supplies
• Works with Managers and Supervisors to ensure standard operating procedures are established and communicated.
• Display exceptional interpersonal skills; be able to remain professional under difficult circumstances; be able to think clearly under pressure.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
What will help you succeed:
• Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in science with 3 years of direct laboratory safety experience and knowledge of chemical and hazardous waste management systems, OHS regulations, and emergency management.
• Preferred Requirements: Degree or credentials (e.g., CRSP, etc.) in Occupational Health and Safety with a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a safety role within a complex multidisciplinary laboratory within life science research, laboratory safety, industrial hygiene or closely related field. In addition, graduate degree in chemistry/chemical engineering, biology or materials sciences would be a bonus.
• Demonstrated experience within a research environment with sophisticated experimental equipment and facilities. Candidates should be able to demonstrate familiarity and experience with handling chemicals, gases, and hazardous waste.
• Experience instructing or training adults.
• Analytical, energetic, self-starter with demonstrated ability to work well both in collaborative, crossfunctional teams, and independently with excellent personal initiative.
• Excellent, demonstrable written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organization management skills with demonstrated initiative in project management. Able to manage people, time, and resources to accomplish goals.
• Able to effectively manage multiple priorities and adapt to constantly changing priorities.
• Strong sense of urgency and can-do attitude.
What it’s like to work with us:
At Providence Therapeutics, you’ll be working with a clinical Canadian Bio-Tech company that is innovating in the fast growing mRNA space. We are focused on helping and healing people around the world. We are looking for culture builders and visionaries to help us make our COVID 19 and Cancer programs a reality. You truly have an opportunity to have a positive impact on individuals lives.
About applying with Providence Therapeutics:
Get creative with your application to us. Everybody sends a resume and cover letter, what are you going to do to stand out and be noticed? Be creative, be bold!
Posting closes September 24th, 2021.
Expected start date October 1st, 2021.