At Providence Therapeutics, we Ignite the Cure Within. We are a rapidly growing Canadian mRNA company focusing on getting the best quality vaccines to the places that need it most. We are on the leading edge of vaccine development and are on the hunt for people with an adventurous mindset to join us. We want to make a difference and help heal the World.
Providence Therapeutics is seeking qualified applicants for a full time Laboratory Operations Specialist position. Under the direction of the Head of Laboratory Operations, the Laboratory Operations Specialist position will support daily activities within the lab which will include, but not limited to, inventory management, receiving, procurement, hazardous waste management, and the health and safety program at Providence. They will be responsible for implementing an inventory usage and tracking system along with developing the occupational safety control programs designed to mitigate hazards and ensure compliance with federal and provincial regulations and internal policies and procedures to control, eliminate and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical and biological agents. The incumbent will support a comprehensive laboratory and office safety program.
How we plan on keeping you busy:
• Coordinate equipment repairs and preventative maintenance schedules between external services and internal users
• Support with inventory management, inventory usage tracking, and organization in the lab.
• Assist with receiving of deliveries and coordinating shipping of packages
• Manage chemicals and hazardous materials inventory including hazardous waste and SDSs.
• Initiating and following-up with facility work requests
• Maintaining equipment maintenance records & inventories including tracking service plan renewals
• Support with receiving and procurement of lab supplies
• Works with staff to develop, implement and monitor safety programs for the lab that meet legislative codes.
• Develop and maintain a laboratory audit program including the performance of annual lab inspection.
• Coordinates and conducts routine informal laboratory safety inspections of facilities to ensure lab occupant attire/activities and lab equipment/infrastructure are in compliance with EHS standards and regulations. Document results and recommends corrective action as needed. Follows-up until deficiencies are corrected.
• Identifies hazardous conditions and/or operations, determines and establishes safe procedures and controls, and implements and enforces standard safety procedures.
• Assist with the development of written safety policies, procedures, work practices, and guidance documents.
• Provide shipping and consultative services to staff who need to ship hazardous materials/dangerous goods as regulated by the Department of Transportation and the International Air and Transportation Association.
• Manage, inspect, and test safety equipment on schedule (e.g., fire extinguishers, safety showers, fume hoods, BSCs)
• Manage administrative controls (e.g., signage, logbooks, etc.). • Manage and maintain PPE and safety supplies.
• Ensure proper tracking of controlled substance(s).
• In coordination with HR and Supervisors, ensure all lab personnel are trained in safety protocols and programs associated with their work.
• Works with Managers and Supervisors to ensure standard operating procedures are established and communicated.
• Assists with development and coordination of emergency response procedures with special attention to the lab. May respond to emergency calls or events and assist as needed.
• Display exceptional interpersonal skills; be able to remain professional under difficult circumstances; be able to think clearly under pressure.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
What will help you get here:
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
• Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in science with 3 years of direct laboratory operations with safety related experience and with knowledge of inventory and chemical management systems, OHS regulations, emergency management, and basic familiarity with business continuity management.
• Preferred Requirements: Graduate degree in chemistry/chemical engineering, biology or materials sciences and/or a degree or education in Occupational Health and Safety with a minimum of 5 years of experience working in an operational role within a complex multidisciplinary environment within the field of life science research, laboratory safety, industrial hygiene or closely related field required. Credentials in a related safety field is desirable (e.g., CRSP, etc.).
What will help you succeed:
• Demonstrated experience within a research environment with sophisticated experimental equipment and facilities. Candidates should be able to demonstrate familiarity and experience with handling chemicals and gases.
• Experience instructing or training adults.
• Analytical, energetic, self-starter with demonstrated ability to work well both in collaborative, cross-functional teams, and independently with excellent personal initiative.
• Excellent, demonstrable written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organization management skills with demonstrated initiative in project management. Able to manage people, time, and resources to accomplish goals.
• Able to effectively manage multiple priorities and adapt to constantly changing priorities.
• Strong sense of urgency and can-do attitude
Application deadline: September 22, 2021
Expected start date: October 1, 2021